Hicks Update: Determined to Fight
by Cleaves Editorial Team - Cleaves Alternative News Saturday, Mar 3 2007, 4:35pm
Hicks to fight terror charge
An Australian son abandoned by the nation and his government has decided to fight the fabricated charges brought against him by the criminal Bush regime. You bloody little bewdy! Against all odds and after years of psychological and physical torture Hicks proves his mettle. The murdering yanks and the slimy Howard government COULDN’T BREAK OUR LITTLE AUSSIE FIGHTER! One can only imagine the forlorn faces of the Howard servile government that no doubt desperately hoped Hicks would break and accept a plea bargain in time for the elections. The Hicks case as previously stated has all the ingredients to bring down the servile government of John ‘deputy-sheriff’ Howard.
Guantanamo (illegal) Bay
The colonial conservative mentality has never understood the fighting spirit that characterises the other half of Australia; that tenacious fighting spirit forged of necessity in a harsh land and tempered by the social injustices of life under British colonial rule. The REAL Aussie spirit that expresses itself as the FAIR GO for everyone! The spirit that set Kelly against the Crown and sent our boys over the top to be cut down almost immediately at Gallipoli – the INDOMITABLE SPIRIT that created the nation that John Howard sold to the yanks for a penny!
We do not make light of Hicks’ decision to fight -- anyone who has been incarcerated and tortured knows that a supremely heroic effort is required to FIGHT IN THE PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES and we all take our hats off to Hicks. The stinking Howard government has tried unsuccessfully to extinguish all Aussie values BUT FORGOT to consider the Australian son they abandoned to the yanks. This same abandoned Aussie may just prove the downfall of the Australian conservatives and awaken the nation to its true values and identity!
[International law and convention wait patiently for Howard, Bush and Blair.]
Regardless of all other considerations we remain steadfast in our support for David Hicks and defiant to those who would illegally impose their poisonous lying, murdering and plundering values onto the world.
The Following is a short report by Stefanie Balogh from the Adelaide Advertiser:
March 04, 2007 -- ACCUSED Taliban fighter David Hicks intends to plead not guilty to terrorism charges, his US civilian lawyer said yesterday.
Joshua Dratel also said "the way it looks right now there is no prospect for a plea-bargain" for the Adelaide-born terror suspect.
"He'll be pleading not guilty," said Mr Dratel, who is based in New York.
"Ultimately the decision is always going to be David's as to what to do. But David right now is ready to continue the course. He's ready to challenge the system."
On Friday Hicks became the first Guantanamo Bay detainee formally charged under the Pentagon's new US military commission system.
He faces one charge of providing material support for terrorism after he allegedly trained in al-Qaeda camps in Afghanistan. Plans to charge him with attempted murder were dropped.
Guantanamo (torture) Bay
US Improvised 'Law'
COMMENTSshow latest comments first show comment titles only
jump to comment 1
by koala Monday, Mar 5 2007, 5:53am
what is stopping you people dumping this prime minister?
Govt fails to dismiss Hicks case
by SMH via rialator - AAP Thursday, Mar 8 2007, 4:55am
March 8, 2007 - 3:24PM -- The federal government has failed to stop the Federal Court hearing a case by lawyers for David Hicks who are trying to bring the Guantanamo Bay inmate home to Australia.
Federal Court Justice Brian Tamberlin on Thursday dismissed a strike-out application made by the government in response to action brought by Hicks' legal team.
Lawyers for the 31-year-old Muslim convert have taken action against the federal government, Attorney-General Philip Ruddock and Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, seeking declarations and an order that could lead to the release of Hicks from the US military prison.
The government lawyers argued the action should be dismissed because Hicks' claim had no reasonable prospect for success.
But Justice Tamberlin on Thursday ruled Hicks would get his hearing, ordering the strike-out application be dismissed and the hearing expedited.
The submissions made by Hicks' lawyers raise "important constitutional questions as to the relationship of the judiciary and the executive, the interaction between the protection of individual liberty and the national interest, and involve questions of foreign affairs," Justice Tamberlin said.
Speaking outside court, Hicks' solicitor John North said the hearing could go ahead in the coming weeks.
"This is a major step forward for David Hicks. We now have a court that will look at his conditions and the fact that he has been put in Guantanamo Bay," he said.
The decision comes after Prime Minister John Howard announced Hicks will make his first appearance at a court at the US military base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, on March 20.
Hicks was last week charged with providing material support for terrorism and faces a maximum sentence of life in a US prison if found guilty.
The Adelaide-born Muslim convert has been in US custody since he was captured in Afghanistan in the immediate aftermath of the September 11, 2001, attacks in the United States.
Hicks, 31, is alleged to have trained and fought with the al-Qaeda terrorist group in Afghanistan.
© 2007 AAP
<< back to stories